Administrative Changes to US Patent Law – September 2011
Changes in the US Patent Law
- Effective on September 26, 2011, a 15-percent surcharge will be added to all patent-related fees, including patent maintenance fees. We recommend that you pay any upcoming patent fees prior to September 26, 2011, particularly issue fees and maintenance fees.
- Effective on September 26, 2011, a new micro entity status entitles the applicant to a 75% reduction of applicable fees.
A micro entity is defined as:
1) Meets the requirements for a small entity;
2) Not named as an inventor on more than four applications (§ 123(a)(2));
3) Not having a gross income exceeding three times the reported median household income (§ 123(a)(3)); and
4) Not having assigned or agreed to assign the invention to an entity having a gross income exceeding three times the reported median household income (§ 123(a)(4)).
3. Effective November 15, all applications except for design, plant and provisional applications must be filed electronically, or will be subject to an additional fee of $400.
(Changes in US Patent Law)